SALA is located in the UMBRIA area, not far from the Tuscan border and 18 km from the historic city of Orvieto. This medieval castle covers an area of 500 hectares (12,35 acres), of which 170 hectares (420 acres) are planted in vineyards at an altitude of 220 - 470 meters (722/1541 feet). Castello della Sala is the ideal place to grow white varieties. Its clay soil and vineyards are warm in the morning light.
The first harvest was in 1905. In the years that followed, it was difficult and the economy was unstable. The First World War exacerbated this situation. In 1922, when the cooperative's winery needed to be updated, many members decided not to donate their grapes. So although this is an unusual year. The brewery began to have serious economic problems and was liquidated.
Its characteristic microclimate is characterized by mild and cold winters, hot and dry summers, and early morning fog is an important factor in cooling the vineyards and perfecting the grapes. The only exception is Pinot Noir, a red variety found in the region that expresses its full potential.
The Muffato della Sala restaurant is lively and bright golden yellow. The scent is rich and complex, with a distinct citrus fruit flavor, as well as the scent of peaches, dried apricots and saffron. Surrounded by a bag, but not excessive, with a slight iodine and very long continuity and durability. Although still very young, it is balanced, a wine that is destined to evolve over time and add aroma complexity.
In 1956, Alfredo Prunotto decided to leave the company and handed the company to his friend, wine expert Beppe Colla, Carlo Filiberti helped him, and later his brother Tino Colla helped him.
A clay rich in marine biochemical deposits.